My sample provider site has two Lincoln speeches which I use to experiment with LTI consumers. I signed up for a trial Canvas account yesterday and found out that the trial includes LTI consumer functionality. So, of course I started to add one of the Lincoln speeches.
However, when I setup the external tool in Canvas, I noticed that my sample provider site made it unnecessarily difficult by asking for the tool_consumer_instance_guid (Canvas does not expose that value to the user). So I removed that requirement. Yeah for owning the code! Once that was gone, it was fairly straightforward.
Here are (the now simple) steps to launch a Lincoln speech from Canvas with LTI.
- Login to your Canvas site.
- Select one of the courses.
- Select Settings from the navigation menu.
- Select the External Tools tab on the Settings page.
- Click on Add External Tool.
- Fill in all the fields as shown (using whatever key and secret you want) and then save the tool settings.
- In another window, login to http://provider.azurewebsites.net.
- Select Orders.
- Click on Create New.
- Give the order a name and then click on Register New Consumer.
- Fill in all the consumer fields, using the same key and secret as you used in Canvas, and then click on Create.
- Click on Create again to finish creating the order.
- Return to the Canvas course and select Home from the navigation menu.
- Add Content to one of the modules.
- Choose External Tool.
- Choose the External Tool that you created above and then enter the URL to one of the Lincoln speeches. For example, http://provider.azurewebsites.net/Tool/1.
- Click on Add Item to save the new item.
- Click on the item to launch it.